Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cutting Deer Soap



So it's been about fourteen hours since I made the deer tallow soap and it seemed ready to unmold. It was stuck in there pretty good and it took a lot of coaxing... ER, hammering... to get it out. Next time I'm going to line the mold with butchers' paper and see if that helps.

Above is the log of soap fresh from the mold. I will say, now I wish I had gone for 3 inch PVC pipes instead of 2 inch... The bars are a little small. I cut some thinner piece to give away as gifts. For myself, I cut some sections thicker so they last a but longer in the shower. There were also some random chucks that I will grind up for laundry soap.


The cutting process. I should use a wire to cut, cutting with a knife is a little tricky and some of the end pieces that were drier and ended up cracking. Not that it affects the soap at all.


... And onto the drying rack they go. Now they need to wait 6 weeks to cure... Which lands them right at December 25 to be fully cured :). The dry pieces smell absolutely amazing.... I think even Equah will like these. Every now and then I grab a piece just to remember how wonderful they smell!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:5th St NE,Rochester,United States

2 comments:

  1. did you scent it at all? ps, looks like it turned out nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did add Rosemary essential oil, when I unmolded it, it smelled like heaven. Unfortunately the scent faded and I think the lye was a bit too weak. I used it in the bath and goa a faint smell of rendered tallow (icky) because it satyed in the bath water. But it is good as hand soap. I have a new rendering method to try as well that should be nearly odorless... more on that later!

    ReplyDelete